Water that you use in your home can contain impurities such as dirt, minerals, and chemicals that are not safe for us. They also make the water smell and taste bad. Some contaminants of water are dangerous for your health, such as bacteria and other microscopic organisms that can cause serious diseases in humans. Therefore, it is essential to make the water safe for drinking with the help of filters. You should have a water filtration system installed in your home that purifies the water you drink, removing those harmful impurities for good. Moreover, filtering the tap water is rather affordable than buying bottled water.

Some good reasons to have a water filtration system in your home are listed below.

1.     Removal of Pathogens:

Water purification systems are essential to eliminate parasites and harmful bacteria from water. Giardia intenstinalis is a microscopic parasite found in the contaminated water. It can cause diarrhea that may last up to six weeks, leading to dehydration and weakness in your body. This microorganism is found in the water that has been contaminated with human or animal feces. Another parasite found in the polluted water is cryptosporidium that is resistant to chlorine. So, chlorine doesn’t work for this parasite, and it can only be filtered out with mechanical filters. These types of chlorine resistant pathogens can only be eliminated by using the micro-ultra or nano-filters.

2.     Lowering the Levels of Chlorine:

Chorine is used by most water municipalities to treat drinking water as it is easy to use, inexpensive, and effective at killing many microorganisms and bacteria found in polluted water. It can also remove some viruses from water. While chlorine acts as a disinfectant, it can make the water taste and smell unpleasant. Moreover, it may also react with some metals found in the water to form harmful compounds. A water filter featuring activated carbon removes the smell and taste of chlorine from water.

3.     Removing Toxic Lead:

Lead is toxic for your health and should not be ingested. It can get into drinking water from an old plumbing pipe, or it may seep into your water supply from the solder used to join the water pipes. Reverse osmosis filters, carbon filters, and distillation are meant to remove the metal from the water. If you use well water for drinking, it is recommended to get your well tested for lead and other contaminants at least once a year.

4.     Reducing Minerals in Water:

Minerals can also be found in the unfiltered water. Iron, calcium, and manganese are commonly found in water. Although they are not hazardous to your health, they can cause water to taste unpleasant or metallic. Moreover, manganese and iron can also cause stains to form on your clothing if the wash water has these elements. Discoloration of porcelain dishes occurs when you wash them in the mineral-rich water. Furthermore, these minerals can also buildup in your water pipes, gradually clogging them and causing plumbing issues.


By Sara Wales

Passionate Writer | Blogger | Travel Freak